Monday, June 29, 2009

They're coming to get us!!


I believe one of the hardest things you can do is conquer your fears, but if you have a goal, then it's your job to open up and let it be real no matter how scary it seems.

I was born and brought up with Bangalore ,although I can’t claim that I know each and every part of Bangalore ,but I can say I’m a true bangalorean. Every bangalorean lives life with a zeal, lives life fearlessly, and takes life as it comes,
However, it all changed for me end of last year. That’s when it hit me that the Bangalore that I was talking about was the thing of the past. Why? Because this one episode in my life thought me how gruesome a city life can actually be, not just for woman the so called weaker sex, but also for men.
It was a regular weekend thing, nothing very special, a girl friend and I decided to catch up for a bite as we did most weekends. This particular weekend, we were is a jolly good mood and decided to take a drive post dinner and headed on towards the new Airport. It was lovely weather and we were listening to our favorite music, so when we reached the airport we hung out for a while in the coffee shop, and decided to head back to her place for a night cap.
As we reached this place called Bell Circle the Lorry Traffic got a bit heavier so we waited for the signal to turn green before we took off, that’s when all hell broke loose. I shit you not it was one of scariest experiences of my life. I thought I would pass out with fear, I felt powerless as a woman; I felt that our life was to come to an end that day.
Episode
So this is how it all happened. The music was loud; the front window was open half way. My friend and I were sharing a laugh, when I suddenly we noticed a Big car overtake and stop at the signal. Suddenly a Man got off the car and started approaching us , in a jiffy I pulled up my window , put off the music and checked the doors, he approached us looked into the car and went back just like that , by that time we sensed the danger and were cautious . The signal turned green and we took a right toward her place, when the car started following us, all we wanted to do then confirm if they were actually going to follow us so to make sure of that we took the road on the left instead of the actual road which led us to her place.
The Chase,
It was a double road with median about every two hundred meters from the circle, as we hit that road , the car overtook mine and stopped right in front of me , My friend who thought fast asked me to take a U-Turn which they least expected and so I did , unfortunately the road was narrow and I had to reverse my car again to make that turn , and so the chase began.

The car chased us on that double road which lead to her place , I was trying to keep calm and drive fast to get rid of the stalkers , but they were fast as well and keeping pace , they cornered me again and luckily right in front of the median and as instructed by my friends, I took the that median and drove on the wrong side of the road and the chase continued , until I we reached this Sharp narrow turn where they were successfully able to over take me and corner me for the last time . two guys got out of the car and I could say that they were high on something , when they approached , I took that opportunity took a slight reverse and over took the car that was blocking me . we were close to her place by then another 1 kilometer and we would reach her place, but the damn chase still continued, I hit a 110 and did not care about the damn speed breakers, My heart was racing faster and was my friends, in that panic we could not think straight and did not think about the cops, the idea was to make it near her place and the and scream if we had too. We stopped with a screeching Halt at her front gate and I asked her to stay put. There were four guys, two got out and approached us right in front of her house a started banging on my windshield and tried to open the door, I kept the car running, holding the clutch so tight that my ankle had a sprain. They looked threatening and tried to say something which I could not hear. My friend called her parents to open the door and as soon as the lights came in the guys jumped in to their car and took off.

That day I came not come to terms with the new Bangalore and how it had changed. How it was not safe anymore. How woman could not walk freely without being looked at or molested in a crowd. How we could not party all night and return home safe.
I learnt my lesson the hard way, but life goes on and I know I can’t stop living because of that one unfortunate incident. My faith in god increased because I’m sure without him, I would be dead meat and ended up in the gutter. So girls out there are cautious being Bold and learn to drive, keep a weapon with you at all times and learn to kick some arse.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment